Gluten-Free Asparagus Quiche
Asparagus season is here! If you want local, organic Asparagus, it's only available once a year for a limited time - and that time is now!
To celebrate, our good friend Casey-Lee Lyons from Live Love Nourish has created this delicious healthy recipe for us using not only fresh Asparagus but our favourite gluten-free flour as well - Cassava Flour!
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
1 cup cassava flour
1/2 soft coconut oil*
2 pastured, free-range eggs, whisked, room temperature
6 large pastured, free-range eggs
1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
2 spring onions, finely chopped
1 bunch asparagus spears
1/2 cup nitrate free bacon (optional)
- To make the pie crust, in a mixing bowl rub the soft coconut oil into the flour to resemble bread crumbs. *The coconut oil must be the consistency of butter (not melted). If it is melted, place in fridge to slightly firm up. If it is too hard, slightly warm to soften.
- Add eggs and salt to dough and combine well. Transfer to a sheet of baking paper. Top with a second piece of baking paper and roll out to 1/2 cm thick. If the dough is too soft to work with place in fridge to firm up.
- Line an oiled pie dish with the pastry dough. Use fingertips to mould into shape. Prick the base with a fork.
- Bake in oven a medium for 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix together filling. Whisk eggs with coconut milk. Mix in spring onions, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- If adding bacon, sauté in a frying pan first. Add to egg mixture.
- Pour egg filling on top of pie crust.
- Line asparagus across top of egg filling.
- Bake in oven at 180’C for 30-35 minutes or until egg is cooked through and golden.
About the author: Passionate about inspiring you to live a healthy and happy life, nutritionist, naturopath and mum Casey-Lee Lyons shares recipes that nourish your body from the inside out. Her healthy recipes are made with whole food ingredients, free from gluten, dairy and sugar.